14 October, 2009

Potty Training & Other Puppy Fun

Potty training a 10 week old puppy is just as un-enjoyable in Africa as it is in America. I will give Roxy some credit for doing better at night and during the day. She is still deciding if it is better to do her business behind the door (so it smears all over the floor when you open the door) or in the bathroom next to the toilet. At any rate she is improving and I hope that by the end of the month she will not only be potty trained but also sitting 100% of the time she is told. I think she is at 75% right now.

I truly am a proud momma. I love how her little nub of a tail wiggles when she is happy. She seems to always want to be near and play so that is always nice to be loved. Her hair (coloring included) is like that of a Rottweiler so it doesn’t shed really and it dries super fast when she is wet. Oh and have I mentioned that she gives the best doggie kisses one has ever received. I pick her up and hold her in my arms and she nuzzles my neck and licks my chin as though I really am her momma. Julie just laughs at us.

Last weekend while I was doing my laundry (my Sunday ritual) in the yard by the pipe, Roxy wandered over. She was smelling around and I couldn’t resist dunking her in my rinse water too. The tub is big enough for her to swim in and I think she liked it after the initial look of confusion. Then of course she ran around possessed by joy and elation as she circled and ran figure eights all over the yard. After that she returned to her sandy spot to lay and roll in the sand…needless to say I apologized to Julie as our lady had just cleaned the floors the day before and Roxy, the four legged sand ball, was going to mess that up in a hurry. I will say that our cement floor is much better than carpet for potty training clean up, but in the way of human traffic it seems that the sand from the street comes in on feet and shoes and blows in on the wind more than I can even describe. The perpetual cycle of sweeping and moping the floor is a losing battle. I’m glad that Julie and I are not obsessive compulsive about cleaning as we would not be able to teach here.


Roxy has become fond of digging the top layer of sand away under our tin awning where we sit outside. She knows the sand is cool and I’m glad she is clever; however, she doesn’t see anything wrong with digging that top layer of sand onto your foot while you are sitting in the chairs. I think that she takes after Julie because when I moved into the house Julie told me how she liked to put her feet in and under the sand because it feels good. I think Roxy is taking all the best qualities from both of us. She speaks French and English already…if only Julie would speak to me in French too I might learn French.

Last week I went to Grande Marché and visited the butchers. I saw, heard, and smelt things that I think I will refrain from sharing with you. Just know it involved piles of raw meat of all types and men in stained clothes with machetes. It wasn’t the greatest thing I’ve done in Lome to say the least. I went there to get my teething puppy a few bones to cook up and let her chew on. Julie didn’t like this so much as the odor from the bones cooking was horrible and the bones don’t smell great either, but Roxy enjoys her bones so much. I feel that it’s great for us too as she chews on our fingers and toes a little less. I think that the men at Grande Marché will know me very well over this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment