28 October, 2009

Out of Hand Kindness

The first day of vacation started out fairly normal. I got up early with the dog and then began making dog food. I usually do this on the weekend but put it off as we made an impromptu beach trip over the weekend. So I was cooking in the kitchen and I heard Julie laughing hysterically in her room. I went to see what was so funny at 6:30am when she is normally asleep. She said that one of the guys that we were out with last night sent her a message last night and said that he has been trying for 2 weeks to show her that he likes her but after hanging out last night he realized that Julie and I are more than friends and he understands now.
Yes, there were 5 of us who were hanging out and we are all friends and have been friends since arrival. Yes, Julie and I have noticed that this guy has been more interested in being around if Julie is present. Yes, she has not responded or reciprocated his interest and just acted normal as she is a kind hearted and non-confrontational person. Yes, Julie and I are roommates and very good friends, even more like sisters at times. We eat all our meals together each day. We argue about who has done the dishes more or bought more vegetables. We hang out together all the time and enjoy being around each other. No, we are not lesbians.
Julie finds this extremely funny and we begin to reflect on what makes him think this way. We had spoken last night after the dinner how this guy had changed toward the end and he wasn’t so happy. Both of us thought that we had offended him and I even spoke to him at the end to try to make things ok. Apparently Julie and I were off as he wasn’t made at us. He just thought he realized we were gay, which we are not. While we reflect we think about how we sit next to each other, there were times when we spoke together more quietly about observations or inside jokes, we laughed at each other, we shared ice cream, she paid for our dinners as we take turns paying when we go out. These are all things that you do with your very close friends and she is like my sister so it is normal for us. Oh dear. She laughs and I laugh too but it’s weird he thinks this about us. We are clearly not gay nor could we be gay, because we like boys too much and we have both had enough boy drama since we arrived that it is even funnier to us.
This is going to be the running joke with us at home for a while. I even joked we need to begin to call each other “girlfriend” when we are around this guy and may be even hold hands. May be that might be cruel to make fun of him but honestly it’s just beyond me how he could think and say something like this about us.
Julie made sure that she met with him today to work out this inaccurate observation. Apparently this guy didn’t want to come to our house as I scare him or he didn’t want to face both of us at the same time. I don’t know for sure, but I was sad that he wouldn’t eat dinner at our house and he wouldn’t even ring the doorbell and come in. He apparently wants to have a special talk with each one of us. I think after that it will be ok…on the condition we can laugh about this the rest of the year.
Oh an update...He believed we were lesbians because we sat next to each other at the resturant and I sat inbetween him and my roommate. Since he liked my roommate he felt I was marking her as mine and not his. Then after I poured a glass of water for him and then myself I shared some of my water with her. He also said there were times that we were talking just to each other quietly and then laughing and he feels that we make fun of all men. OK.

But all is good now and life is going on. I'm not married or dating my roommate. It's amazing the problems that people make for each other because they want something.

No comments:

Post a Comment