07 October, 2009

Finding The Beach

Julie, my roommate, and I decided we needed to hit the private beach so we walked to the main road and caught motos. I thought all would be fine as she speaks French and I just smile and ride and pay the man at the end of the ride.
We had been riding for a short ways and this man pulls over and basically he tired to take us to the public beach. He was young and argued with Julie, who laughed and always is friendly but firm. So then the moto guys ask directions and we are off again. This happened a few more times and then my moto driver then takes the lead and takes us to another beach that you have to walk through a restaurant first. Then you pay about $4 to go to the beach or go to the saltwater pool. We thought the beach until we saw the 6 feet waves flowing in and that was clearly not what we were thinking. We then switched and went to the pool.

The water was great and we swam and floated and just enjoyed having the pool all to ourselves. We laid out and talked and I read too. It was such a nice day!
After we were done the men tried to tell us that they were doubling our fair as they waited for us. This didn’t faze Julie and she talked them down.

We had them drop us at Grande Marchet and we walked around and even went to the huge western, overpriced store. I loved that out front of the store there were bumper cars. Yes, just like at the county fair! You can have 5 minutes on the bumper cars for about $1 usd. I know that at some point this is going to be a fun thing to do.

On the way home I was continually asked if I was from the Peace Corps. Apparently I looked like I’d been living in the bush, or may be it’s just because I’m American.

Later we found out that the beach we wanted to go to was only $1 entry and you get a drink included in the price. I know there is another beach adventure in our near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment