12 March, 2010

Election Watch

Campaigning began two weeks ago. This means that there are posters plastered Hollywood promotion style on every light post, building, and cement wall. Then the opposing side comes and rips down the posters and puts up their own. There are billboards, cars with posters plastered to them (mind you these are new SUVs from America, not average Togo cars) and ads on TV too. By far the best are the parades. The current president hires dancers, marching bands, and people to parade around areas in Lome for 1000 CFA ($2.00 USD) or 2000 CFA ($4.00 USD) for the entire day. There are plenty of people in these parades. Not only is the economy horrible and people need money, but this is a really easy job. I was out and there was a car with a loudspeaker taped (scotched as we call it because of the tape brand Scotch). The man inside was recruiting people to ride in the campaign cars for the current president and it was a free ride to wherever they wanted to go. The opposition, however, can’t afford to pay people to campaign so they get two or three motos and put palm branches (their symbol) on the back of the moto like a 10 foot peacock tail. Then the riders wear yellow t-shirts and drive fast up and down the streets blowing whistles and yelling. Or there might be a group of ladies in the same yellow t-shirts walking passing out flyers with a picture of the opposition’s man on it. These ladies will sing and chat with people as they walk.

I have heard three to five parades every day for these past weeks, but they have grown in intensity and frequency as the election approaches. I haven’t actually seen the parades because it’s safer to stay indoors and not show interest in one party or another. I’m not a citizen, I can’t vote, I’m neutral when I talk too Togolese. When I speak to Westerners we all know that change would be good, but the fact that there is so much governmental money stuck in the pockets of governmental people and the president of France is very supportive of this administration (since this president is the son of the man who ran Togo for over 30 years and died in office). I know that change or revolution is necessary, but the violence, bloodshed, and damage that is coupled with this kind of change would be heart wrenching. I will say that I’m so envious of how all the Togolese take seriously that their vote counts and I have not met one person who will not vote. In America we take voting for granted and our votes are counted, whereas here there are risks of tampering with the votes.

There are interesting things that I can say about this government like the former president (this president’s father) had something like 11 to 19 wives. The government still pays for each wives’ mansion, supports her each month, her children’s schooling, and all other costs. They each had several children and they are not living simple lives either. Another fun fact is that there are around five generals and they pocket over ¼ of the nations money. An example of this type of skimming is Togo received 6 million dollars to repair roads in the past year. Half of that immediately went into the pockets of governmental people. Another half went toward lower government officials. In the end there was only around 1½ million to actually do the road repairs. Clearly, there wasn’t enough to do what was needed and most of the work was done so slowly that it is ridiculous. It has taken them over 6 months to pave the beach road that runs through Lome. Lastly, the military will vote 3 days before the election and the person who mentioned this to me basically said that this is so it will be easier to change all of their votes.

I decided after talking to many Togolese and Expats that I really didn’t need to leave Togo for the election. I would love to take a trip mind you, but if I return and there are complications with the boarders then I don’t want to be stranded and the boarder is the sticky part. I spent a few days shopping for food and whatnot and brought some work home from school. So I’m set to stay home for several days. I will stay home the day of the election and then as soon as they announce the results I need to stay inside too, because this is when problems with break out if there are going to be problems. I know that for the last 2 elections there have been major rioting and whatnot, especially in opposition areas (like where I live), but this time I think there has been a lot of work to emphasize no violence. My Togolese friends are going to stop by and check on me and three very good friends are going to come and stay with me in my empty bedrooms for a few days to make sure there are no problems at my house.

I personally feel that this, like all election periods everywhere in the world, is special and exciting time because there is potential for growth and change. I hope that whoever is elected will bring more change and opportunity for the average person. This is history being made for Togo and I’m honored to be here observing, even if I’m at home. I’m praying for peace too.

No comments:

Post a Comment