12 March, 2010

Election Day









For safety I stayed home on Election Day. It’s very hard to stay home all day when you have to. I woke up at my usual 6:30am time and fed the dog and had coffee with my guardian when he was done cleaning the yard. We talked about the election a little and how he would go vote at 7:30 and then return to spend the day with me and make sure I was kept safe. I hired him about five weeks ago so that he would be around before the campaigning, during the campaigning, for the election and then after the election. He’s been like a little brother to me since I got here, but these last few weeks of him sleeping in my yard and running errands for me and just being around a lot more in general makes me wonder how empty my mornings and evenings will be without him. His time will be over mostly because he is a footballer and needs to return to his team in Ghana for their season.
This morning before he left I gave him my camera and asked him if he would take some pictures so I could see what voting was like in Togo. He took a few pictures but then got worried the policemen would not like him doing that. The pictures are great and I’m grateful for them.

My day has created a antsy feeling but there isn’t much I can do now is there. I’m just waiting this one out with the BBC Africa reporting on Climate Change.

No comments:

Post a Comment