02 September, 2009

First Day of School

Today was like breathing clean fresh air! It was the first day of school and I was at peace and in love with teaching and kids just like so many years ago when I started. The classroom is where I belong and what I plan on doing forever!
I had 5 students and we went through our day with joy and ease. They are all 5 years old and on many levels (some should be in 1st grade so we will see how that goes). We designed Science Journals, read a story, wrote some words, had snack & recess, did some math with shapes. I can honestly say that I was sad when the end of the day smacked me in the face. I am looking forward to tomorrow.

It seems that I can access the internet at the secondary school's computer lab on Wednesdays and Fridays. I hope to do so. I will be here between 3 and 5pm my time (west coast of Africa that is) so if you are online and want to chat via gmail or Skype that would be fun and nice to hear from friends. Please if you have comments or questions just post them here on the blog or e-mail me. I know that there must be things that you are wondering about life here and I'd love to share.

There is talk of moving me out of the compound and into a house with my Belgium friend, so next week I might move down the street. It would be nice but I guess the plumbing in the kitchen, shower, and the toilet are broken at the moment and I'd like to stay where I am until it's fixed, but we will see. I know that a bed was purchased but not yet assembled for me. Oh and by bed I would like you to imagine a very rudimentary twin bed with a 3 or 4 inch piece of foam for the mattress. This is pretty much what I sleep on now but I heard that it might be a 5 or 6 inch piece of foam at the house. The upgrade would be nice and welcomed. lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment