23 September, 2009

The Break In

Yesterday morning my roommate and I woke up and got ready for school as usual. We were almost ready to leave when I could hear my roommate start swearing in French. I went in to see what was wrong. Basically, someone had broken into our house during the night and went into the room where she keeps her laptop and they had stolen it. Then she realized that her camera, which was next to her bed, was also gone. This was way too much to process 10 minutes before we both had to be at school.

We start moving a little slowly as we processed and talked this over. She was completely heartbroken about almost 100 lesson plans she’d wrote on her computer. This is not to mention her music and pictures and movies that were also gone. As we talked it began to overwhelm me how this person had been just next to her bed as she was sleeping and I was so thankful that she was ok! Then it dawned on me that I had been very cold in the middle of the night and I’d been walking around in my room looking for a long sleeve shirt and then gone back to bed and how it could have been really bad if I’d seen the person. It truly sucks that this happened but I’m so thankful we are both ok.

We’ve talked about this over and over since that morning and a few stupid things that this person did include; leaving the computer cord that they had to have disconnected to take the laptop. Then she realized how her purse had been wide open with money sticking out of it and they didn’t touch it!

The resolve to satisfy other people in the way of security (and possibly you too) is that we are buying a dog. I figured that this is going to be better than hiring a guard as I can hug and kiss and train and sleep with the dog. The guard will just sit in the yard doing nothing and I’ll probably feel bad and have to feed him too. Plus, many of you know that I’ve had puppy fever for about 2 years now and this is the best reason for not just wanting but NEEDING a dog that I’ve every come up with. I’ll keep you posted on what kind, its name, and how our little family is doing when the newest member arrives officially.

No comments:

Post a Comment