12 May, 2010

Voo Doo

Given all the reading and information that is available about voo doo in the neighboring country and Togo I knew that I would some how see evidence of it first hand during my stay here in Lome. There is the very large voo doo market on the other side of town that I thought I might venture through once and be done just to see the freakish and evil things that lerk there but I have since changed my mind after seeing that voo doo is something that people here, even church people, take seriously.

I have seen women in traditional voo doo attire walking the roads or standing on the side of the road watching people. These women are usually dressed in a plain brown wrap or panya from their belly down and are topless. They have a half if a gord on their head and they have ash smeared in symbols, mostly lines and circles, all over their face, arms, back, chest, and legs.

One very dark night I was walking home from my friend’s house who live three houses down the street and I saw two children walking toward me. I didn’t see at first that they were dressed in voo doo attire but was more concerned about the little boy holding the plastic bag over his head. They just stared at me and it was really spooky. I prayed the rest of the way home.

Another time I was at Richard’s apartment and we heard a parade outside. We went to the window and saw people dressed in all kinds of traditional dress and then a man dresses in an African version of a mascot outfit jumping around and yelling at people above the noise of the drums and bells. I asked and Richard explained to me that it was the voo doo men making a ceremony. I had this yucky feeling all over. I was glad that I saw it from the second story of the building and not up close.

There have been a few times that Richard and I have seen people around us or people come and cause problems between us and someone has mentioned that there was voo doo involved. I didn’t take it too seriously and knew that we would all be ok, but these people and even Richard we suspect that voo doo was trying to work its wickedness in our lives due to a few nasty people around us.

Recently things have been great but I found a scorpion in my bathroom. It was brown and was about three or four inches long. I panicked a little, never having seen one that was not behind glass and might pose a threat to me, but luckily my friend david was there and when I yelled “oh my gosh there is a scorpion in my bathroom” he kindly and quickly replied “well, quick take off your shoe and kill it.” He never came to investigate or check, what a true friend. I took off my shoe, smashed, and then flushed the vanquished beast. I was proud of myself but hoped that there wasn’t a scorpion season as Roxy loves her spiders, geckos, lizards, birds, and all other crawly things to chase. This could be a dreadful thing to chase. I told Richard, ever so proudly, about killing the scorpion and then about my concerns about Roxy. Richard grew very concerned and wanted to know why I didn’t call him and where the body was and warned me that it was only the work of a voo doo man that brought this creature into my house. He told me I needed to be careful and watch out because someone meant harm for me.
Elizabeth felt that may be it entered through a hole in the concrete and I was thinking that sounded a bit more realistic but if one came would more come? I check each room when I enter and don’t leave as much laundry or stuff on the floor. I also am never barefoot anymore.

Then two weeks after this dramatic killing of the scorpion I found yet another, smaller scorpion, in the bathroom as I went for my middle of the night potty run. I had to wake myself up more before I attempted to kill this one as I thought I might miss and then get my just desserts. So I woke up a bit more and ground this one into the floor then flushed the goo. The next day Richard was not pleased that the voo doo man had done this again and I had not called him to inspect the body or at least saved it for him to look at. I was a little disappointed that there was no “good job honey” involved in his speech but he is the African and has seen Africa more than me. I promised the next one I would save for him and he was satisfied. I just pray I don’t have that opportunity.

My conclusion is that like anywhere evil comes in different shapes and sizes. I don’t think I want the slightest to do with this evil and will leave it out of my life and pray against it because God is always greater.

No comments:

Post a Comment