04 December, 2009

Three Months Later

This is my three month assessment of my life in random thoughts. I know that I should edit this for some of you worry warts, but what the hay, life is beautiful and I know that when I go back to America I might be shocked too. For now it’s fairly normal so I’m going with it.

I have had the blessing and curse of losing 20 pounds. This is great as I needed to, but now my clothes don’t fit…even the ones that were too tight to wear when I got here. So I morn wearing oversized britches each day, aside from the days I wear my Togolese outfits that I have had made. Oh yes, everyone loves these days. The Tatas (aides/aunties) at school all go crazy with teasing, and dancing in a loving way. I have one picture below. They tell me I am African girl now.

I was sitting on the back of my moto today going to the bank at rush hour and as the man whizzed in the opposite lane and ground to a stop for the light I was texting. I briefly thought, “May be this isn’t such a good idea, so I should be fast fast.”

My ability to learn French is proving to be less than ideal. After teaching in English all day and everyone wanting to practice English with me, it is near impossible to learn French. I have discontinued my French lessons as I’m so disgusted.
I do need to add that Togolese English is not the same English that we speak in America. They say things like ‘fast fast’, ‘it is finished’, ‘I am coming’, ‘it is spoiled’, ‘plenty’ and ‘what is your problem’. Unfortunately, I have begun to pick up the lingo. So I am officially losing all hope of ever speaking correct English again in my life. I have taught teenagers in L.A. for 3 years and now I’m speaking Togolese English. Oh well, I’m sure you will all get a kick out of making fun of me when I move back.

I have been eating at Togolese’s houses and street food and haven’t had running stomach, so I think I’m doing pretty good. I don’t even think about it that much anymore, I just eat. Majority of the food here is a mash (think solidified mash potatoes) in a ball. You dig your pointer and middle finger into the mash and roll a ball with your thumb, be careful as it’s super hot and sticky! Then you dip it in the sauce and eat. Normally there is some kind of dried fish you pick apart or chicken part that is more bones, skin, and cartilage than meat. I was offered chicken feet then other night but just wasn’t ready for that yet. May be I need another few months for that one and then fish eyes too????
When you eat like this you wash your hand at the table and it’s a communal thing. I love it. Oh and I’ve learned that you do not eat with your left hand. It’s only ok to spit the bones or bones into your left hand and hide it under the table.

I still wash my clothes by hand in the wash basin out in the yard. I still cook most all the meals. I sweep a little more as the dusty season has begun, also known as Hermittan.

Roxy is beautiful and I love her so much. I have been told, by my vet, that I need to stop feeding her dinner as this will make sure she is alert all night. So she only gets breakfast and lunch beginning today. I feel kinda mean but this is how you train a guard dog I guess and she does need to be part guard dog to protect me during the night. She is great though!

I have sad news. My beloved roommate Julie has decided that she will move out of the house to live with her new found boyfriend who left another teacher in our school. It’s an awkward situation but I think it will all settle with time. I have been enjoying the peace and some time alone. I realized that I haven’t really had alone time since arriving here in Lome three months ago. It’s fun to write and read and play with Roxy and just be quite and still.
I’ll be honest, I was a little freaked out sleeping alone in the house the first few nights but now I’m good. I lock the gate up tight and all the doors are battened down. Not to mention Roxy is out in the yard. My friend who works for the school and lives up the street has told me that if I hear anything I can call him and he will come and check it out, no matter what time. I think that people pretty much know me on the street so I should be good. It’s my home and so I’ll be at peace, but aware at the same time.

It looks like I will travel during Christmas break with a family of one of my students. This should be very fun and I’m looking forward to it. I haven’t left Lome since I arrived and so seeing another country will be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment