19 December, 2009

The Baby Dedication

My friend invited me to tag along to his friend’s house for a baby dedication. I thought that since I’ve been to a wedding and graduation that this would be another good experience, so I went.
The little boy is 3 years old and his name is Believe. This is one of the most verbal little boys I’ve ever met, not to mention that he is a spiffy dancer too. I had such a nice time with everyone and his mom is a very boisterous welcoming woman who also speaks a fair amount of English. She boldly asked things about my life that made me feel a little uneasy for the first time meeting all these people but it was fun and I just smiled through the whole experience.

Apparently, the day before they had gone to the church for the actual dedication and this was the reception party at the house where they gave out huge amounts of food, played music, and there was some dancing starting when we left.

It all began with a lot of talking and sitting around. Now Togolese literally sit separately (men and women) on opposite ends of wherever they gather. Since my friend is a man and I am the yo-vo (white girl) I get to sit with him and no one minds. So, I sat with the men and listened to them talk. It was funny because I picked up on some of their conversation but my friend filled me in on the rest. All the men were talking about getting white girls and laughing about it the way that teenage boys talk in the locker room about how they could get the prettiest girls in the school. They laughed about all you need to learn to say is “I love you baby”. I laughed especially hard when one guy left and returned with what looked like his Togolese girlfriend. They didn’t speak about getting a white girl after that.

The celebration began with a round of wine or whiskey, each person’s choice. I opted for the wine and it was rather strong. I smelled the whiskey and well just take my word that it would knock anything over. Then the mother and her friend brought out the first platter of food. It’s another typical thing that the men’s side of the gathering is served first. There is no buffet style here. It was a really nice salad, western style. I actually ate leaf lettuce and a piece of pickle too. I was so excited. I hadn’t had either since I left America. Then there was Togolese style potato salad and it was yummy. I was feeling rather full when they brought around the beer. I took one but I wished for water. Before I opened the beer my wish was granted and it wasn’t even the plastic bag of water, it was real bottled water. I was so happy. Later they brought out one of the paste-like white foods that is very common here with a sauce and chunks of beef. They were disappointed that I didn’t take more meat but I honestly was so full (or satisfied as they say here) that I joked with the father that I had a food baby. This is where I can seriously get myself in trouble because of the communication barrier is ever present. He then turned to his wife with this happy smile on his face and was honestly going to tell her that I was pregnant with my friend’s baby. Oh Lord help me…I am not so funny when it backfires on he me like that. I corrected him before the rumors began and he laughed after I slowly explained that I was very satisfied and I was joking that I ate so much it made my belly stick out like a baby. I WAS NOT pregnant. Sheesh. I need to be more careful.

We listened to music more and Believe danced with his mom and other relatives. We decided that it was time for us to go and so half the party came out to say good bye to us (or the white lady) and to take pictures with me like we were best friends. I laughed and smiled really big.

So this wasn’t the most eventful outing but it was special and I had a good time. As we took moto taxis home I was thinking that the people at the American Embassy are really nice and it’s good to see them but I felt kinda bad for them as they don’t live within the Togolese community at all. They live like the Wizard of Oz came and swept up most of their life in America and planted it here. I enjoy so much being within the people and participating in the community here. I love my life here, overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment