19 December, 2009

Observations of Seasonal Change

I know when I lived in Los Angeles I complained that the steady temperature gave no indication of the seasons changing. Although it is super-dooper hot here I have begun to notice the changes in the climate. When I arrived it was nice, warm but nice. The Togolese complained that it was cold and would wear their hats and coats and even gloves. Then it began getting hotter and it just continued to get hotter and hotter. They were happy and shed the coats and long sleeves. Then it became incredibly hot. Please note that I was sick twice with a respiratory infection (including fever) during this phase. How my friend could tell I had a fever when I was just constantly burning hot and dripping sweat/water, literally. You don’t even smell of B.O. because your body is just sweating so much. I have never experienced heat like this and Missouri heat will never compare. I think only Hell might, and I emphasize might, be hotter. Another thing that I noticed was that the geckos and the lizards that are everywhere started to thin out and then all together disappeared. I was sad as I really loved these little ones running around teasing Roxy and just overall scurrying about the yard, walls, streets, and school. I really hoped that they would come back soon as the frequent sightings of mice and huge cockroaches are not as fun as geckos and lizards.
I have realized that it is cooling a little bit, as the Togolese would say “small small”. I think that it’s just super hot right now. I have begun to smell my B.O. again and I don’t need the fan ALL night anymore. The Togolese have brought out long sleeve shirts and the taxi moto men have been wearing hats and coats lately.
It would have been fun to have a thermometer to measure the temperature outside each day and actually report for you (cause I’m that nerdy) but alas I’ve just invented my own way of determining how hot it is. Not as scientific I know, but funnier for sure.

So as you all have been experiencing Fall and may be even a dusting of snow, please enjoy it and take it in for me. I miss the leaves changing and snow just might make me cry. May be next year I will just be normal and spend Christmas at home. It has been so good for me to be here. I think that this is just what I’ve been waiting for all my life. Just so you know I’m contemplating a second year, but I’m not sure. I will for sure be home in July for a few weeks regardless. I look forward to hugging you and going through a little culture shock.

BIG UPDATE! I saw 1 baby green headed lizard yesterday outside the gate at my house, and then 2 push up lizards today. I was so happy. Then one of my students saw a fat gecko crawling on the wall in my classroom today and we all looked at him. This evening as I was washing dishes I saw a little gecko crawl across the outside of the screen of the kitchen window (please note that my windows don’t really have glass rather they are holes cut in the walls and screen mesh hung over the bars). These sightings make me happy that my little creatures are back and that the heat might actually be subsiding.

I would also like to take a moment and tell you that I am so excited that Mango season is here! It’s sad that avocado season is over but all of you know how much I love mangos and oh it is so heavenly! There are 2 kinds of mangos here; a small local orange mango, and the large mango we all are familiar with and love! I literally can buy the small mangos for .05 cents each and the large mangos for .25 cents each. I have been eating one or 2 every day and have joked that I might turn orange like the mangos but oh it’s so great. =-)

2 comments:

  1. just remember that mangos are in the same family as poison sumac. eat with caution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nina, I've failed at keeping up on your life on the other side of the world...but the chopsticks you gave me are a constant reminder of you. I miss you dear friend!

    Happy New Year!

    Nora

    ReplyDelete