15 January, 2010

Home Sweet Togo!

I was so happy to return home to Lome and see my sweet little Roxy. I was so happy that I loosened her collar before I left as she grew so much in the 10 days that I was gone that I almost need to loosen it again! She is so amazing how she grows so quickly. I was disappointed that my friend who watched her didn’t reinforce her training so I have implemented doggie boot camp at home until she is able to keep all four feet on the ground, come, sit, and stay. Thank goodness I bought that leash! But don’t’ get me wrong, she is absolutely the cutest puppy and I love her so much. There is nothing that makes me giggle and laugh, even in my worst moments, like her little clipped tail trying to wag but sends her whole butt into wiggles and dances.

I’ve been home for a week now and it feels so normal to be here. All the drama has returned and I’ve forgotten that it was just last week that I was in Abidjan. The biggest thing is how one mother has removed her child from our school and blames me. In an email to the director she sights that I am the most ill-mannered, arrogant person that she has ever met and that I am too lazy to teach her child. Crazy parents even exist here. No one is really thinking much of this, except the Director is worried for the school’s reputation and what people might think and say about our school now. I told her that she has 8 other very happy parents so that is something to consider. She thinks that calling the parent and promising I will work harder is a good solution. Hmmm….I’m not sure that working harder is the key here, as I work harder than most of the other teachers and my kids are progressing very well. I think that this parent, who refused 2 or 3 conferences and would send me these demanding notes for books and more homework each night, might need to relax a little. Her kid is 5 for heaven sake. Besides, she didn’t really do the work I sent home and just wanted to order me around. We all know how well I take being ordered around by crazy people. Needless to say I’ve been smiling a lot and reverting to education speak when I communicate with her all year. At least I only have one crazy parent.

The election at the end of February is fast approaching and you can feel it in the air. This might also be because I live in the not so great area of town and it’s supposed to be the opposition stronghold. I’ve heard loudspeakers attached to cars driving down my street saying stuff about the election. My friend told me that the news has been talking a lot about the election. They call it “heating up”. Technically campaigning can’t begin until 2 weeks before the election but the organization of the parties and whatnot is taking place now. Many people have told me that nothing will change because France puts too much money ( in the pockets of the people in power) in the country. Other people think that change and revolution might happen. I know that the biggest opposition leader who was elected as a regional leader in the last election had to be in exile the last 5 years and he has returned.
Personally I worry for the people and I hope that no one is hurt or killed. I know that there is a lot of potential for harm as emotions and mobs can over take common sense. I will more than likely have to leave the country for the week of the election. I know that school will be closed for a week but if things are still “hot” we will have another week off of school. This second week will be taken from my 2 week spring break and I do not like that idea much.
Clearly, this isn’t anything like the elections in the US so if you think about it you can pray for the people and this time in Togo.

No comments:

Post a Comment